Friday, March 18, 2011

03 Solara Shaking & Vibrating



Newbie here!





I have a 2003 Solara SE 2.4 Lt. with 225K Miles. I'm the original owner, I've had lots and lots of highway mileage over the years! My Solara has been a great car that I've loved since I saw it in the showroom!





The problem Ive been experiencing for the last month is as follows:

When driving at a speed of 60 mph, the front of the vehicle starts a steady low shake and vibrates and gradually shakes uncontrollably. The steering wheel vibrates and shakes.

When I decelerate, the shaking still happens but it gradually lessens and when at a complete stop, the car is fine. When accelerating again, the car is ok, no shaking.

This is an intermittent problem thats getting worse. I can drive at speeds up to 60 mph for up to 40-60 minutes with no issues at all, then the shaking and vibrating will start.

I forgot to mention that my check engine lamp has been lit for a while. The code the last time I had the car serviced was P00116, Cam/Crank Sensor, Sensor A, Bank 1. The mechanic was not able to clear the error and did not replace the crank or cam.



I went to my mechanic and described the problems and left the car. I told him to test drive the car on the parkway and see if he could duplicate the issue. Here are the repairs from that visit:

Problem code P00116 Cam/Crank sensor, Sensor A Bank 1

Tire rotation & balance

Cut front rotors, cut rear drums to correct shimmy

Cut front rotors & rear drums

Replaced cam & crank sensors



The issue is still happening, check engine lamp lit after a few hours of driving. I brought the car back a couple of days later. I drove with the mechanic and the issue didnt happen. Left the car, they checked the tire balance again and I picked up the car a few hours later.



I brought the car to the dealership and had them run diagnostics and they found the P0016 code is being caused by the timing chain, the timing is off. In between the oil plate and valve cover, some how the chain received some damage. Since Ive never replaced the chain, they want to replace the chain and itll cost upwards of $2K for the repair. They havent looked at the shaking & vibrating issue.



Does anyone have any ideas regarding the shaking & vibrating that Im experiencing?

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Mike

Reply 1 : 03 Solara Shaking & Vibrating



My .02 cents:



My 97 Avalon has had some of the shaking and vibrating issues at speed. I wouldn't notice it at first, but especially on longer trips, it would "cycle" in and out about every ten seconds. It felt like a shimmy, or vibration, in the front end. The steering wheel would vibrate accordingly, but not so much that I thought the wheels were coming off.



Took it in for alignment checks, and found out the control arm bushings were shot. I was also getting a pretty bad rattle going over bumps.



Replaced the bushings, tie rods ends, and ball joints. Shock/strut still original equipment. Rides like a new car now!



The crank/cam sensor issue usually happens when the timing belt breaks. If you have a chain on your engine, it should last forever unless the sprocket breaks. Those can be done fairly easily and a lot less expensive on your own. A new chain only costs about $60. Have you had any other work done to the engine that would throw off the timing?

No comments:

Post a Comment