Saturday, March 19, 2011

Tailgate won"t open



Hi all - glad to have found this forum



I had to close the gate real hard to get a mattress in and only 1 side really locked in

Now, the tailgate will not open

thoughts?

Reply 1 : Tailgate won"t open



ok, is the tailgate fully closed now?

if so that would relieve the stress on the latches and might open?



if you can remove the screws from the black plastic cover and get it part of the way out you will see the linkage and can possibly open it that way? just two small shafts that pull the latch back

Reply 2 : Tailgate won"t open



Yes - fully closed now and when I pull the release, only the driver side pops open.

I've loosened as much of the black plastic cover as I can, and can get my hand in there. When I pull on the metal pole (not sure what it is called) I see it operating but it does not pop on the passenger side. From what I can see it is operating the same as the driver side, but it is not popping loose



I'm thinking something is connected to that shaft that I cannot see or reach?

Reply 3 : Tailgate won"t open



Have someone push on the tailgate while you lift the handle at the same time. Sounds like there is too much pressure on the pins that hold the gate closed.

Reply 4 : Tailgate won"t open



Nope, the rod that runs from the handle to one latch has popped out of its position and is now behind the latch itself. This happened to me as well.



The only way I got it open was using an open end wrench to remove the bolts holding the latch point to the bedside. Once that was free the tailgate comes down, and you can remove the rest of the plastic to access the inner latch.

No comments:

Post a Comment