Friday, March 25, 2011

Projectors for a 1998 Camry (Gen 4)



Ok so i'm looking for a bit more performance out of the lighting on my 1998 Camry. I know HID is the way to go but I also know that there is little gain to be made out of simply dropping an HID kit http://www.mod-express.com/Mod_Expre...p/me-k5011.htm into my TYC clears, not to mention dubbing myself an ass to everyone else on the road unlucky enough to be on the other end of that barrage of scattered light. So my question is does anyone have any experience doing a projector retrofit for a Gen 4 housing or where they can be purchased. I've searched high and low for an answer but it seems that this option is nearly nonexistent. Options anyone?

Reply 1 : Projectors for a 1998 Camry (Gen 4)



not sure about Camry light housing size, but on Solara gen1 (99-01) which also carries H4 headlights, people use bixenon projector from Infiniti FX35.

you could probably find a pair of used ones on ebay between $100 and $200 a pair. then you need shrouds (not easy to get), D2S bulbs with a D2S wiring kit ... and of course someone needs to take the lamp housings apart, black out the reflector mirrors and make it look nice all together (and sealed!).



not an easy task, skill and tools are required. local NY shops charge around $800 for a ready to install kit (if you provide them with your stock lamps) ... very expensive if you can't do it yourself.



PM member iovaykind, he was doing some projector retros in gen3 housing (9006, not H4 I believe), he may know more.

Reply 2 : Projectors for a 1998 Camry (Gen 4)




Quote:








Originally Posted by Dan3215
View Post

Ok so i'm looking for a bit more performance out of the lighting on my 1998 Camry. I know HID is the way to go but I also know that there is little gain to be made out of simply dropping an HID kit http://www.mod-express.com/Mod_Expre...p/me-k5011.htm into my TYC clears, not to mention dubbing myself an ass to everyone else on the road unlucky enough to be on the other end of that barrage of scattered light. So my question is does anyone have any experience doing a projector retrofit for a Gen 4 housing or where they can be purchased. I've searched high and low for an answer but it seems that this option is nearly nonexistent. Options anyone?





The light output gain from dropping HID's into a regular housing is pretty significant. Pointing them slightly down helps greatly with glare.



Doing a retro is $$$ and time consuming. Forget about getting it done by someone. A 5000k kit bi xenon is under 100$ and if you already have clear housing the glare wont be dramatic. In general people online over exaggerate the whole glare thing. I have installed 5-6000k kits in a buncha cars. Sure given that all of them have clear and good non hazy headlights, the glare was pretty insignificant.



But hey im sure 10 guys will come in here yelling that HID's in a regular housing is a crime. The gen 4 headlights blow, I drive around with my high beams on sometimes and nobody flashes me.

Reply 3 : Projectors for a 1998 Camry (Gen 4)



Carsrus, I'm going to yell at you AND show you why you're wrong.









Dan, go here. https://www.facebook.com/iovaykindretrofits?ref=ts

No comments:

Post a Comment