Tuesday, March 22, 2011

2001 Corolla LE (SHould I buy it???)



Hello, I have an opportunity to buy 2001 Corolla LE with only 78000 KM on it from a senior driver. Car is in very good shape overall and was maintained reguraly. The price is $4000 CAD. I am hesitating about it because I heard lots of complains about these generation Corollas burning oil due to manufacture defect ,etc. Could you kindly suggest if it is a good buy or should I stay away and look for 9th generation Corolla or even an Echo.

Thank you.

Reply 1 : 2001 Corolla LE (SHould I buy it???)



wow good find that low km and a cheap price. My girl friend just got one 4000 had 130k on it

Reply 2 : 2001 Corolla LE (SHould I buy it???)



Yeah you should take the corolla and besides not all corolla burns oil...only some do and mine is a le and it doesnt burn oil...its running great though.For an echo, its a nice car and i say better economy car than a corolla perhaps.

Reply 3 : 2001 Corolla LE (SHould I buy it???)



Wow someone just posted the exact question here maybe they canhelp answer all ur questions

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=364510

Reply 4 : 2001 Corolla LE (SHould I buy it???)



I recently purchased a 99 corolla with 57,000KM for $3300 Cad. and I love the car. Drives great and also great fuel consumption. It is a Corolla so go ahead and buy it. Mine is a CE so no power windows just power door locks. I took care of that by installing a remote start and keyless entry. The other up grade I did was installed a new CD player from Best Buy. Now I have MP3 player as well.

Reply 5 : 2001 Corolla LE (SHould I buy it???)



78000 km is how many miles? like around 60k? 50k something? i would say go for it. my 99 has been really reliable, but to be honest with you it probably needs about $2k grand worth or work to get it in excellent condition. it's coming close to 175k miles though. just needs struts, tires, and a bunch of sensors. o2 sensor, and some others ones that haven't left me stranded so i have just let them go. i think it may need some exhaust work too. makes a lot of noises in the winter/cold weather. they're good cars.

Reply 6 : 2001 Corolla LE (SHould I buy it???)



is it not amazing that a corolla needs so much stuff and is still going. they are excellent cars...

Reply 7 : 2001 Corolla LE (SHould I buy it???)




Quote:








Originally Posted by spinner747
View Post

Hello, I have an opportunity to buy 2001 Corolla LE with only 78000 KM on it from a senior driver. Car is in very good shape overall and was maintained reguraly. The price is $4000 CAD. I am hesitating about it because I heard lots of complains about these generation Corollas burning oil due to manufacture defect ,etc. Could you kindly suggest if it is a good buy or should I stay away and look for 9th generation Corolla or even an Echo.

Thank you.



Hi. I was looking at Corollas a bit because the '97 to '01 Camry is expensive in Canada! But, I read, too, that the Corollas of 8th gen. have a burning excessive oil problem. Go to the CarComplaints web site and you can read of reports of customers stating the same problem. The problem seems to afflict many vehicles. I really like a more powerful car like a V6 Camry but I'm having difficulty finding a good condition car with low mileage in my budget.



I think you could afford a 4th gen Camry with a bit more money w/ around 130,000 kms and they rate well from customers. However, the Corolla will have better gas mileage. But, I wonder if the 1.8L engine is worked hard and then burns oil later on or something. I suggest to read replies and reviews here and then test drive before deciding. Make sure to bring the car to a mechanic before buying. Even if it costs $50 or whatever for an inspection, it's a safer investment than to decide on one's own, imho.



I would have only looked at Camrys but no one in the 4th gen. section will donate any money to me...

Reply 8 : 2001 Corolla LE (SHould I buy it???)



I also looked at 4cyl Camrys but they are so expensive and also hoih mileage. I settled for the 98 Corolla. I believe the oil problem is if you don't change your oil frequently. Similar problem to the Sienna mini van.

Reply 9 : 2001 Corolla LE (SHould I buy it???)




Quote:








Originally Posted by linx3566
View Post

I also looked at 4cyl Camrys but they are so expensive and also hoih mileage. I settled for the 98 Corolla. I believe the oil problem is if you don't change your oil frequently. Similar problem to the Sienna mini van.



Well, I am not sure about that. If you go to the CarComplaints site, Corolla owners post comments about watching the oil but still needing extra oil. I think the Sienna is based on the Camry platform.



I still think the Corolla is a decent car to choose but imho, the Camry is preferred for probably less issues but I'm no expert. It just seems that way based on what I read but the experts here are probably better sources to comment.

Reply 10 : 2001 Corolla LE (SHould I buy it???)



The car will definately last easily up to 300,000 kilometers. My only reservation is the same as shared by a few others, oil consumption. It's a 50/50 gamble, even though its a low milege and senior owned car the issue could be still there, as the oil control rings could be gummed up and stuck. The worse case would be that you have a car that will still will last a long time, but you'll have to babysit the oil level. If I were you I would prepare to live with a car that uses alot of oil or buy a 9th gen Corolla.

Reply 11 : 2001 Corolla LE (SHould I buy it???)



Thanks for replies guys. When I went to test drive it I discovered that something was leaking on the driver's side in engine compartment,looks like power steering pump. Another thing i noticed that when I was checking automatic transmission it would easily go to D but i had to apply some force to put it in 2 and/or 1 speed. Any comments on that?

I am thinking to buy Echo instead, because of less problems with those cars and they are built in Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment