Friday, March 18, 2011

TPMS/TPWS Options A collection



TPMS Operation and Disable Options for Gen 6



Note: If you attempt any of the following, there will be no changes to the wiring harness or the TPMS Module. Everything is reversible. [TPMS & TPWS also TPML & TPWL are used interchangeably in the CH service manual.]



Disclaimer: I have attempted to make it very clear where the jumper is to be installed, if the procedure is not done properly, I am not responsible for any damages…… do this at your own risk! Plus check your tire pressure regularly……



Disabling the TPMS light [TPWL] in this manor will never allow the warning light to illuminate, or set any codes.







# Disconnect the E60 12 pin connector at the TPMS ECU behind the glove box. Install a male pin jumper in the E60 connector between pin 5 (IND/indicator) & 9 (GND).
DO NOT PLUG connector INTO THE ECU WITH THE JUMPER INSTALLED!!!



[E60 unplugged also removes power from the TPMS ECU and the TPMS ECU from the “CAN BUS”, hence no codes set.)



Selling tires that still have sensors mounted?
Sell only WITH the ECU. (If you don’t want it in your car, may hurt future resale value.)

Keep the sensors and ECU.

Buying new tires with new sensors?
Buy the matching ECU*, if possible, install it with the new sensors. You are good to go.

Buy a new ECU* and install it and get it programmed to the sensors. One time setup, have the sensor ID’s available to program. You are good to go.

Tire assembly swapping (IE, summer to winter).

Swap sensors to replacement tires each time and do nothing further. Risks involved, are damage to a sensor, busting an “O” ring, and cost.

Unplug E60 connector for tires without the sensors, install jumper (see # above), for tires with sensors plug in the ECU (after removing the installed jumper, see # above).

Purchase new sensors AND a TPMS ECU* (Install used sensors WITH its ECU, and no programming will be involved.) Install a new ECU* get it programmed to the new sensors (One time setup, have the sensor ID’s available to program.). Swap the ECU with your tire swap. (Mark the ECU to ID which set of sensors it is matched to.)

Drawbacks to the tire swap method.
Don’t mix TPMS sensors from group 1 with group 2 and run with them, the ECU will have to be reprogrammed if this is done or a fault code will be set.

Hint:

List the TPMS sensor number on the rim in an inconspicuous place with a label maker and “clear coat” to protect.



* Note:

Make sure the ECU is the correct model (has a 12 pin connector) If you can locate a mating male connector, install the jumper. It will become a “Plug n Play” setup.



A drawing of the connector is located on Page 142 in the 2007 Camry Electrical Wiring Diagram Manual



The P/N for the connector is 90980-12552 (Female is on the cable side)



The wiring diagram for the folowing explanation is located on Page CH-142



The TPWL trigger line (IND) is a high (or floats / which is pulled high when open, note a bias resistor between the IG to the IND line, means the lamp is on in this NPN transistor “pull down” output when

on. A ground or 0 volts on the trigger (IND) line, will turn it off.



TPMS Module (About $330.00)

TPMS Sensor (About $80.00)

Located ON LINE……



for pressure, battery volts and it’s sensors temperature.

Using the diagnostic reader, you can locate a faulty sensor by reading the tire pressure on the working units, by the process of elimination.

[Don’t let the tech tell you that the bead must be broken to locate the faulty sensor, they have the tool, make them use it properly.)

Just let the air out of one tire at a time, read the new set code, with its ID and note it’s position. Fill tire back up with air.

Repeat process on remaining tires till all sensor ID’s have been done and their location is noted.

(Don’t forget the ground spare, not the “donut”.)



LUNA2

Reply 1 : TPMS/TPWS Options A collection



Good write up.



Another option is to open the cluster and remove the light bulb that illuminates the TPS sensor itself. Is there not a fuse for it also?

Reply 2 : TPMS/TPWS Options A collection




Quote:








Originally Posted by darksparkz
View Post

Good write up.



Another option is to open the cluster and remove the light bulb that illuminates the TPS sensor itself. Is there not a fuse for it also?





But very hard to reverse for service. The fuses on the TPMS ECU and the cluster led have other required devices on them. Best choice remove plug and jumper pins.... completly reversable........

Reply 3 : TPMS/TPWS Options A collection



You know what's really weird? I just had my new aftermarket wheels put on this past weekend. The TPMS light popped on like expected because I didn't do a sensor swap. But now my TPMS light doesn't even turn on for some reason and I didn't even do anything to it lol... It seems like the system is a bit buggy to me.

Reply 4 : TPMS/TPWS Options A collection




Quote:








Originally Posted by MAP1234
View Post

You know what's really weird? I just had my new aftermarket wheels put on this past weekend. The TPMS light popped on like expected because I didn't do a sensor swap. But now my TPMS light doesn't even turn on for some reason and I didn't even do anything to it lol... It seems like the system is a bit buggy to me.



Wow, nothing new about that.................

Reply 5 : TPMS/TPWS Options A collection




Quote:








Originally Posted by MAP1234
View Post

You know what's really weird? I just had my new aftermarket wheels put on this past weekend. The TPMS light popped on like expected because I didn't do a sensor swap. But now my TPMS light doesn't even turn on for some reason and I didn't even do anything to it lol... It seems like the system is a bit buggy to me.



Let me take a wild guess...you stored your stock wheels/tires inside your garage which is near your car.

The same thing happened to me before I transferred my TPMS, everytime I drive around 50 miles (just a guess here) then the light come on but when I get back to the house...the ECU commuciated with the stock wheels near my car which tricked the ECU to turn off the light.

Reply 6 : TPMS/TPWS Options A collection



Thanks for a nice write-up Luna.....also why I am having my mechanic swap/transfer my sensors onto my new wheels lol

Reply 7 : TPMS/TPWS Options A collection



Hi hope someone can help me out with this I have to take my Camry in for inspection, Wont pass as it has aftermarket rims no sensors fitted. Have found he E60 plug but need a wiring diagram so I can sort out the jumper position, if anyone can post or pm me a copy pg 142 2007 Camry Electrical Wiring Diagram Manual i would be grateful.

Reply 8 : TPMS/TPWS Options A collection




Quote:








Originally Posted by royalmike
View Post

Hi hope someone can help me out with this I have to take my Camry in for inspection, Won’t pass as it has aftermarket rims no sensors fitted. Have found he E60 plug but need a wiring diagram so I can sort out the jumper position, if anyone can post or pm me a copy pg 142 2007 Camry Electrical Wiring Diagram Manual i would be grateful.



check out www .camrystuff.com........

Reply 9 : TPMS/TPWS Options A collection




Quote:








Originally Posted by Luna2
View Post

check out www .camrystuff.com........



Thanks had already found this web page downloaded wiring diagrams installed a jumper checked connections and light still on, after an hour of messing around decided to remove instrument pod and tape over light job done.

Reply 10 : TPMS/TPWS Options A collection



OK, so I admit that I am basically a car dummy (although I used to be able to fix my flathead Fords back in the day). Now I just drive and take the car to the mechanic when needed. We bought a new Camry last year and I joined here just to sorta keep up with the Camry and whats going on. So tell me, why would you want to disable the TPMS? Please explain to a dummy.



Gator1939

Reply 11 : TPMS/TPWS Options A collection




Quote:








Originally Posted by gator1939
View Post

OK, so I admit that I am basically a car dummy (although I used to be able to fix my flathead Fords back in the day). Now I just drive and take the car to the mechanic when needed. We bought a new Camry last year and I joined here just to sorta keep up with the Camry and whats going on. So tell me, why would you want to disable the TPMS? Please explain to a dummy.



Gator1939



The best answer would be, when changing from summer to winter tires that are already mounted on the rims. The TPMS computer will not accept more than 5 sensors at a time. If the winter tires also had sensors, then off to the dealer to reprogram the computer. (This will cost you two times a year.....)

Reply 12 : TPMS/TPWS Options A collection




Quote:








Originally Posted by Luna2
View Post

The best answer would be, when changing from summer to winter tires that are already mounted on the rims. The TPMS computer will not accept more than 5 sensors at a time. If the winter tires also had sensors, then off to the dealer to reprogram the computer. (This will cost you two times a year.....)



OK, that makes sense, I guess I don't/didn't think that way 'cause I don't have to change tires except when they wear out..



gator1939

Reply 13 : TPMS/TPWS Options A collection




Quote:








Originally Posted by gator1939
View Post

OK, that makes sense, I guess I don't/didn't think that way 'cause I don't have to change tires except when they wear out..



gator1939



I keep sick time and vacation time saved up for the light snows in my area and just stay home. I lived in Alaska for over two years and can deal with the snow, it is the other drivers actions that make me stay home....

Reply 14 : TPMS/TPWS Options A collection



something interesting for u guys. dad put on my old tsw with my oem sensors and drove a few miles away with no light. we gonna see in a few days when we try to drive far away if the light comes on but nothing at all. might be tpms reprograms itself to my sensors. works on other cars.

No comments:

Post a Comment